Cincinnati area dentist explains orthodontic treatment and benefits with Invisalign
The appearance of your smile is important. A healthy, straight smile can boost your confidence, making you feel better about yourself. It can enhance your personal and professional relationships. However, many adults are turned off at the thought of wearing conventional metal braces to straighten their teeth. Invisalign clear aligner trays are a popular treatment and give patients an alternative to traditional braces. Patients near Bridgetown, Cheviot, White Oak, and Dent who are seeking a Cincinnati area dentist have turned to Drs. Jesal Patel and Shawn Dornhecker for smile enhancement options. With offices in Fairfield and Cincinnati, OH, our dentists offer Invisalign to straighten smiles.
As an FDA approved treatment, Invisalign trays have been successfully used to treat over 2.4 million people worldwide. The effectiveness and clear design have made Invisalign a popular orthodontic treatment for patients with mild to moderate orthodontic needs.
How Invisalign works
Invisalign uses clear, BPA-free plastic trays. The trays are created using impressions of the patient’s teeth to ensure a snug, appropriate fit. The trays should fit comfortably without moving around. Thanks to the clear design, Invisalign trays are not noticeable to others, so patients can straighten with ease and confidence.
Invisalign trays are designed to use gentle pressure. This pressure gradually shifts the teeth into alignment. A series of trays is used. Each set is worn for a couple weeks as specified by your dentist. After a couple weeks, that set of trays is discarded and a new set is worn. The placement of pressure changes with each set of trays to promote continuous movement.
A huge advantage of Invisalign treatment is that the trays are removable. Patients can take out the trays to eat and to brush. The trays should be worn as directed, usually for at least 20 hours per day, for optimal results. Since the trays can be removed, patients need to remember that they control their own success. Removing the trays unnecessarily may result in an unsuccessful treatment or increase the duration and cost of the treatment.
Orthodontic treatment with an Invisalign dentist
No matter which treatment is used, orthodontics improves the function and appearance of your smile. Teeth that are straight and properly aligned are easier to brush and floss. There are fewer hidden, hard to reach areas where plaque and bacteria can accumulate. Invisalign improves the appearance of your smile as well as the health and functionality. Bite, crowding, and spacing issues are improved once the teeth are in proper alignment.
Invisalign is an effective treatment for patients who need mild to moderate orthodontic correction. The technology has improved allowing correction for complex cases. Invisalign successfully addresses multiple orthodontic problems.
- Crooked or crowded teeth – For patients with small mouths, there may not be enough room in the jaw for the teeth to fit properly. This leads to issues with crowding, crooked teeth, or hygiene issues in hard to clean areas.
- Gapped teeth – The teeth help protect the gums. When there are large spaces, problems including gum disease can arise.
- Overbite – An overbite occurs when the upper teeth extend over the bottom teeth. This can lead to gum problems, additional wear on the bottom teeth, or jaw problems.
- Underbite – An underbite occurs when the bottom teeth stick out past the front teeth. This keeps the front teeth and molars from working properly. It can cause tooth wear or problems with the jaw joints.
- Open bite – An open bite is present when the teeth do not fully meet. An open bite can lead to speech, bite, and jaw problems.
Teenagers and adults can benefit from orthodontic correction with Invisalign aligner trays. The clear trays straighten the teeth, giving patients a boost in self-esteem. There are additional benefits to using aligner trays.
- Custom-created – Invisalign trays are created on an individual basis using impressions of the patient’s teeth.
- Comfortable – Unlike conventional orthodontics, which rely on pressure from tightening wires, Invisalign trays use gentle pressure to shift the teeth into alignment.
- Effective – When worn as directed, clear braces produce beautifully straighter teeth.
- Invisible – The clear, BPA free plastic is not visible to others.
- Removable – Patients can take out their trays as needed to eat and to brush and floss their teeth.
Effective June 15, 2018, our new address will be 5520 Harrison Avenue, Suite A, Cincinnati, OH 45248. Contact our offices in Cincinnati at (513) 815-3188 or in Fairfield at (513) 815-3166 to schedule a consultation.