Cheviot, OH dentists describe Invisalign treatment for orthodontic correction
At Patel and Dornhecker Dentistry, we strive to help our patients achieve beautiful, healthy smiles. With two convenient locations, Drs. Jesal Patel and Shawn Dornhecker provide dental services to patients in Bridgetown, White Oak, Dent, and Cheviot, OH. Our services include Invisalign treatment to effectively produce straighter teeth in an unnoticeable manner.
Invisalign for orthodontic correction
Aligner trays can be used to correct mild to moderate orthodontic needs such as crowded, gapped, crooked, and misaligned teeth. For qualified candidates, they may be an alternative to conventional brackets and wires. Invisalign trays are made of clear, BPA free plastic so they are safe, yet not visible to the general public. The trays are created using impressions of your teeth to ensure a snug fit around the teeth. This helps to avoid slipping and to maintain patient comfort.
When the impressions are taken, a treatment plan is devised to gradually move the teeth into the appropriate positions. A series of trays are created using this treatment plan. Invisalign trays rely on gentle pressure to guide the teeth into proper alignment. A set of trays is worn for a couple weeks as directed by the dentist and then discarded for a new set. Each set has a different placement of pressure to promote continuous, gentle shifting of the teeth. Regular visits with your dentist are used to assess and monitor your progress.
Invisalign is a popular, effective treatment for teens and adults. Its popularity has risen due to the following reasons:
- Invisible orthodontics – The clear trays are not noticeable when you are speaking or interacting with others. You can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing. With proper cleaning and rinsing, the trays remain invisible to the general public.
- Comfortable – Since they are created from impressions of your teeth, the aligner trays fit snugly and do not move around in your mouth.
- Removable – Trays can be removed as needed to eat, drink, brush, and floss so there is no need to worry about food or drinks getting stuck in your trays.
- Individualized treatment plan – The trays and treatment plan are designed specifically based on your orthodontic needs.
Invisalign orthodontic treatments do more than just straighten and align the teeth. Straight teeth are generally healthier than crooked, misaligned teeth. There are aesthetic and functional benefits to orthodontic treatments. Benefits include:
- Improved oral hygiene – Crooked, crowded teeth take away from your smile but they are also harder to clean and floss. Straight teeth are easier to clean since there are fewer hard-to-reach areas where bacteria can hide and accumulate.
- Less jaw stress – Misaligned teeth often cause problems with your bite and the way your teeth meet creating stress on the jaw. Once the teeth are moved into proper alignment, any bite issues are corrected relieving the stress.
- No wear on teeth – Teeth that are too close together or crowded can damage and cause abnormal wear on the surfaces. Properly aligned teeth have minimal wear on the tooth surfaces.
- Fewer general oral health problems – Uncorrected orthodontic issues cause stress to areas of the mouth. This can lead to stress or damage to the gums, joints, and bones. Headaches and problems with the neck or jaw can stem from underlying oral issues.
Due to the clear trays and ease of use, Invisalign is a popular choice for teenagers and adults who qualify for the treatment. The trays are nearly invisible to those around you. Patients are not embarrassed by prominent brackets and wires. The ability to remove the trays to eat and drink and to clean the mouth and trays is an added convenience. However, the trays should be worn for about 20 hours per day or as instructed by your dentist.
The ability to remove Invisalign trays means patients control their success. Adhere to your dentist’s instructions for optimal results. Wearing the trays as recommended increases the likelihood of a good result. This lessens the chances of needing future orthodontic correction or a longer treatment time. Treatment time varies between patients. Routine visits with your dentist assess your progress. Most patients are treated in approximately 12 months.
If you are considering straightening your teeth, contact Patel and Dornhecker Dentistry. Call our offices in Bridgetown at (513) 815-3188 or in Fairfield at (513) 815-3166 for an appointment.