White Oak, OH residents ask, “Does Invisalign braces treatment work?”
Your smile and self-esteem are linked. A beautiful, straight smile can make you feel better about yourself and can impact your personal and professional relationships. Treatment with Invisalign braces gives patients an alternate straightening option. For patients near, White Oak, OH, Drs. Jesal Patel and Shawn Dornhecker offer Invisalign treatment for orthodontic correction.
Does Invisalign work?
Patients who choose to undergo any treatment, including braces, want to know if their procedure is effective. Since its FDA approval in 1997, Invisalign has been used to successfully treat over 2.4 million people worldwide. Its effectiveness adds to its popularity as an orthodontic treatment.
Invisalign treatment involves wearing clear, BPA-free plastic aligner trays. The trays are created individually using impressions from the patient’s teeth to ensure a proper, snug fit around the teeth. The trays are comfortable, do not move, and are not immediately visible to other people. The Invisalign trays rely on gentle pressure to gradually shift the teeth into their appropriate position. A series of trays are used. The pressure is placed differently in each set of trays. One set is worn for a couple weeks as directed by the dentist. That set is discarded, and a new set is worn to promote the movement of the teeth.
When worn as directed, Invisalign is a successful straightening option. However, patients control that success. Invisalign trays are removable. They can be taken out to eat and drink and to care for the teeth. The usual recommendation is to wear the trays for approximately 20 hours each day. This increases the likelihood of an effective outcome. Adhering to the instructions for use reduces the need for future orthodontic treatment.
Effective orthodontic correction
Orthodontic treatments are designed to improve the function and appearance of the smile. The goal does not focus just on the cosmetic appeal of straight teeth. Properly aligned teeth are simpler to clean. When the teeth are crowded or misaligned, there are hard-to-reach areas that are perfect for bacteria to accumulate. Correction with Invisalign addresses functional needs such as bite, crowding, and spacing issues.
Invisalign braces treatment is appropriate for patients in need of mild to moderate orthodontic correction. Advancements in technology allow aligner trays to correct an increasing number of cases. Invisalign is used to treat the following needs:
- Misaligned or crowded teeth – When the jaw is small or there is not enough room for the teeth to fit properly, there are crowding issues. The teeth become crowded and more difficult to clean.
- Gapped teeth – Gaps are common between the front teeth but can occur anywhere in the mouth. Excess spacing can lead to gum disease since there is less protection from the teeth.
- Overbite – Individuals with an overbite have front teeth that extend over the bottom. An overbite can lead to issues with the gums and jaw or excess wear on the bottom teeth.
- Underbite – In contrast, an underbite occurs when the bottom teeth extend past the top teeth. An underbite does not allow the front teeth or molars to function properly. There may also be tooth wear or jaw issues.
- Open bite – An open bite is just that. The teeth do not meet which creates speech, bite, and jaw problems.
The Invisalign advantage
Invisalign trays are an effective treatment for teens and adults. The boost in self-esteem and improved oral health are just two of the reasons patients choose Invisalign. The benefits of aligner trays include the following:
- Individualized treatment – Using impressions of the patient’s teeth, the trays are designed, and a treatment plan is created for the patient’s needs.
- Comfortable – Conventional braces rely on pressure from adjusting and tightening metal wires. Invisalign trays use gentle pressure to guide the teeth into alignment.
- Effective – Periodic exams with the dentist assess your progress throughout the treatment plan. When worn as directed, Invisalign helps patients achieve beautiful, straight teeth.
- Clear – The trays are not visible to the general public so straightening is possible without drawing unwanted attention to the mouth.
- Removable – Patients can remove the trays to eat, drink, and care for the teeth.
- Safe – The trays are made of BPA free plastic.
To learn more about Invisalign braces treatment, contact Patel and Dornhecker Dentistry in Bridgetown at (513) 815-3188 or in Fairfield at (513) 815-3166.