Attractive smile with teeth whitening: A perfect choice in Bridgetown, OH
An attractive smile lets others know you are confident and approachable. That is a positive boon from social media to the boardroom. Teeth whitening can give your smile appeal a noticeable boost. At Patel and Dornhecker Dentistry, with offices in Fairfield and Bridgetown, OH, we know there is no single perfect teeth whitening solution. We provide options, tailored to your smile, budget, and schedule.
The science of stunning smiles
Determining the best whitening method for your smile starts with a basic understanding of what causes teeth to look dingy, and how whitening corrects it.
Causes of discoloration:
- Heredity and age – Teeth are covered with smooth-looking, pearly enamel over a rigid structure of yellowish dentin. Much like your eye or hair color, the shade of your natural enamel is initially determined by genetics. Some families simply tend to have darker, yellow, or gray enamel. In addition, you may have a genetic tendency toward thin enamel, which allows dentin to show through. Enamel thins over time, so even if you started out with very white teeth, they may have changed as you became more mature.
- Diet – A good rule of thumb is anything that would stain a white tee shirt will probably leave stains on teeth. If you drink coffee, tea, red wine, or cola frequently; or eat dark colored berries, dark chocolate, or tomato sauce often, your smile can likely benefit from teeth whitening. Acidic beverages such as white wine and sports drinks can also leave enamel vulnerable to staining.
- Lifestyle habits – Tobacco is hazardous to the appearance and health of your smile. Tar and nicotine emitted from cigarettes yellows teeth quickly, and eventually turns them brown. Smokeless tobacco holds staining pigments against tooth enamel for long periods of time.
- Health – Certain medical conditions, medications, and medical therapies discolor teeth. Common culprits are antihistamines, some antibiotics, blood pressure medications, antipsychotic drugs, chemotherapy, and radiation. Trauma to an individual tooth may cause it to darken, as well.
- Hygiene – Conscientious brushing and flossing helps to scrape away surface stains. Daily home care also reduces plaque build-up. Once plaque hardens into brownish tartar it can only be removed with a professional dental cleaning.
While the terms are often used interchangeably, whitening technically refers to methods that restore teeth to their natural color. Bleaching, however, lightens underlying enamel, so teeth can be brought to an even brighter shade.
Whitening toothpastes are more abrasive, using fine grit to dislodge stains on the surfaces of teeth. With continued use, abrasive toothpaste creates scratches in enamel which trap pigments, so it can worsen the problem in the long-term.
Professional teeth whitening utilizes prescription strength bleaching agents. These peroxide-based formulations penetrate microscopic pores in tooth enamel. As the molecules oxidize, they break up particles of pigments and lift them away from teeth.
Get an attractive smile with teeth whitening – the perfect experience in Bridgetown, OH
For at-home whitening, the doctor makes impressions of your mouth. Using these molds, custom-fit application trays are fabricated. You receive a supply of medical grade bleaching gel. The doctor tailors the strength to your whitening needs and natural sensitivity. If teeth are very sensitive, a soothing ingredient can be added.
You simply add whitening gel to the trays and wear them for the prescribed time, from a half hour to a
couple hours. The wearing schedule (number of whitening sessions per week) is specific to your needs. Continue whitening until the desired level of brilliance is achieved – usually in about two weeks. Then use the system periodically to keep your smile luminous.
Do you need to look your best faster than that? We also provide in-office whitening for dazzling results in one appointment that takes only about an hour. The carefully applied bleaching agent is activated with a special light for accelerated whitening. The process is repeated, for maximum whiteness in minimum time. While in-office whitening is long-lasting, you may then choose to maintain results with occasional at-home touch-ups, or reschedule treatment as needed.
Regardless of which method you choose, at Patel and Dornhecker Dentistry, you are assured of safety and effectiveness, with the oversight of a trained dental team.
Remember – teeth whitening is most effective just after a dental cleaning. So, call (513) 815-3166 today to schedule your hygiene and checkup appointment at our Bridgetown or Fairfield office.